Seattle Coffee Works is one of Seattle’s most innovative coffee roasters. In 2017, we added one cafe in Capitol Hill and will soon open our doors in South Lake Union, in addition to our successful cafes in Ballard and Downtown.
We are about: amazing coffee, kind people, and cozy spaces. We have a robust portfolio of Direct Trade partners and coffees, and a vision to MAKE COFFEE BETTER in terms of quality, sustainability, and equity.
We need full-time coffee professionals to make this vision a reality. If you are committed to becoming a full-time member of the team, and you aspire to a career in specialty coffee, read on. (Please note: we have one part-time position available – please see our separate Craigslist posting.)
Why would you want to join us?
– Education and Training: Extensive initial and on-going training in all coffee brew methods, cupping, and scoring coffee. For most new coffee apprentices, regardless of past experience, it takes up to twelve months to be certified as a full barista. We train to the highest standard and until the coffee apprentice can comfortably and consistently make excellent coffee both on our Espresso Bar and our Slow Bar (Aeropress, Chemex, Hario V-60, Kalita, Vacuum Pot). We provide frequent opportunities to learn about the entire coffee value chain from farm to cup including origin trips, a coffee lab with state-of-the-art tools, and multiple cuppings every week. There are also continuing education and training opportunities for certified baristas. Making excellent coffee in our cafes is just the beginning of a career at Seattle Coffee Works!
– Excellent Coffee and Equipment: A lineup of outstanding espresso blends and super-premium single-origin coffees, as well as state-of-the-art equipment is available in the cafes and training lab. Equipment manufacturers often ask us to beta-test their new brewing prototypes.
– Your Coffee Career: We’re looking for team members who are ambitious, want to make coffee a long-term career, and want to raise the bar in the specialty coffee industry.
Are we a fit for you?
– Job vs. Career: Are you ready to fully commit yourself to one place of work and one career? We’re not a good fit for people looking for a side-job to finance school or some other career path.
– Hard Work: Are you ready to work really hard, both physically and intellectually. Can you do whatever it takes to create an excellent coffee experience for each and every customer?
– Lifelong Learner: Do you see yourself as a lifelong learner, someone who will go out of your way to seek new knowledge?
– Change Agent: Do you embrace change? Can you excel at leading change?
– Love for Service: Are you excited about the challenge of making five-star coffee for some of the most discerning customers in the world?
If you can respond with a resounding “YES!” to these questions, read on!
Are you a fit for this team?
– “I am seriously passionate about coffee.” This means: you find yourself thinking about coffee a lot, every day: you wake up early, already calculating how you want to make your first cup. Maybe you roast coffee at home. You seek out the best coffee in any city you visit, often before you visit anything else. Maybe you have a coffee tattoo. You think about coffee as you drift off to sleep. You have a pile of books about coffee on your nightstand. Our team members are very passionate about coffee. It’s a characteristic that defines and distinguishes our team from many others. We are looking for others who also exemplify the passion for coffee effortlessly.
– “I want to work weekends and holidays.” As a highly dedicated group of coffee and hospitality professionals, we are EXTRA busy serving our customers on weekends and holidays. To be part of the team, you must embrace working on weekends, with two days off during weekdays. We schedule according to business needs and cannot accommodate specific schedules around other activities such as school, sports, or personal preferences. The Coffee Apprentice position is full-time only.
– “I can live on $35,000.” You can expect to make about $35,000 (before taxes) per year during your first year if you work a full-time schedule. This is based on an hourly wage (not salaried), above minimum wage. We offer comprehensive health and dental benefits after three months. We offer paid time off (PTO), generous product discounts, and transit assistance.
If you can say these three statements honestly, and out loud, then please contact us.
Please send your resume and a personal statement about why you want to pursue a career in coffee, and why you believe Seattle Coffee Works is the right place for you to do so. Send to careers@seattlecoffeeworks (dot) com, with “Coffee Apprentice”.
We look forward to hearing from you!